Finance and Budget for Internships in Geneva
IOM grants interns a Monthly Subsistence Allowance (MSA) as partial contribution to accommodation and living expenses. MSA is calculated with reference to type of education and distance of permanent residence to place of assignment.
The allowance for internships in Geneva ranges from 500 to 1500 CHF. This amount will likely not accommodate all the expenses incurred by the intern. Thus, all remaining costs, including travel, accommodation, and living expenses, must be covered by the intern or the sponsoring institution.
The following information is intended to assist you in estimating the cost of your internship (all figures indicated in Swiss Francs):
- Travel expenses:
- Round trip air/train/bus tickets to/from Geneva: vary according to starting location;
- Passport/visa application fees: may vary;
- Ground transportation from/to airport/train/bus terminal: 3 CHF (by bus);
- Insurance expenses: may vary
- Medical insurance:
- varies; (Interns are not covered for non-occupational accidents and illness. They will be responsible for their own world-wide health coverage during the period of the IOM contract).
- Other expenses: (additional 10-20% of the budget)