Research and Publications
The Unit conducts research on migration law and current migration issues to analyze and evaluate the various facets and interplay of international, regional and national migration law. The Unit seeks for better governance of migration through research activities that improve awareness and knowledge of migration law.
Areas of research and particular expertise include:
- The international protection of migrant rights
- Migration in crisis situations;
- Environmentally induced migration and the protection of migrants’ rights;
- Migrants and right to liberty: non-custodial measures as an alternative to detention;
- Border management and human rights;
- Access to justice for migrants;
- Protection of family unity and right to reunification;
- Migrants’ access to Economic and social rights.
- Rights-based approach to migration policy;
- Extraterritoriality and the international protection regime and asylum procedures.
- International Migration Law and Policies in the Mediterranean Context ( 2009)
- International Migration Law: Developing Paradigms and Key Challenges (edited by R. Cholewinski, R. Perruchoud, and E. MacDonald., T.M.C Asser Press 2007)
- Compendium of International Migration Law Instruments (edited by R. Perruchoud and K. Tomolova, T.M.C. Asser Press 2007)
- Migration and International Legal Norms (edited by T. Alexander Aleinkoff and Vincent Chetail, 2003)