Rules of Procedure for the SCPF
I – SESSIONS
- The Standing Committee shall meet normally twice a year, and otherwise as may be required, for the proper discharge of its functions, at the request of:
- the Council;
- one third of its members;
- its Chairperson;
- the Director General, after consultation with the Chairperson.
- Membership in the Standing Committee is open to all Member States of the Organization.
The meetings of the Standing Committee shall be held in Geneva.
The meetings of the Standing Committee shall be held in private.
The Administration shall notify the members of the date of the first meeting of each session. Such notification shall be sent at least two weeks prior to the opening date of the session, unless the members agree to a shorter period.
II – AGENDA
- The provisional agenda for each session shall be prepared by the Administration, after consultation with the Chairperson and the members of the Standing Committee, and shall include the items proposed by:
- the Council;
- the Standing Committee, at a previous session;
- any member of the Standing Committee;
- the Director General.
- The provisional agenda and the main documents for the session shall be communicated by the Administration to all members at least two weeks prior to the opening of the session, without prejudice to the provisions of Rule 4.
- At the beginning of each session, the Standing Committee shall adopt its agenda for the session.
- The Standing Committee may revise the agenda while in session.
III – CREDENTIALS
A communication from a Member State to the Administration announcing the names of its representatives shall be deemed sufficient credentials.
IV – EXPERTS
The Standing Committee may, as deemed useful for its work, invite experts to attend its meetings.
V – OFFICERS
The Bureau of the Council shall act as the Bureau of the Standing Committee.
The Vice-Chairperson, when acting as Chairperson, shall have the same duties and powers as the Chairperson.
VI – Subcommittees
The Standing Committee may set up such subcommittees and working groups as may be required for the discharge of its functions.
VII – SECRETARIAT
- The Director General shall be present, or be represented by the Deputy Director General or another designated official, at all sessions of the Standing Committee. The Director General or the representative of the Director General may participate in the discussions but shall have no vote.
- The Director General shall provide and direct the Secretariat as required by the Standing Committee.
VIII – LANGUAGES AND DOCUMENTATION
The Standing Committee shall use the official languages of the Organization.
- Speeches made in any of the official languages shall be interpreted into the other official languages by the interpreters provided by the Secretariat.
- Any representative may address the Standing Committee in a language other than the official languages, but must provide for translation or interpretation into one of the official languages. Interpretation into the other official languages by the interpreters provided by the Secretariat may be based on the translation or interpretation given in the first official language.
- All documents of the Standing Committee shall be made available in the official languages.
- The report on each session shall be distributed to all Member States as soon as possible. Summary records shall not be prepared.
IX – CONDUCT OF BUSINESS
A majority of the members of the Standing Committee shall constitute a quorum.
In addition to exercising the duties and powers conferred upon him/her elsewhere by these Rules, the Chairperson shall declare the opening and closing of each meeting of the Standing Committee, shall direct the discussion, maintain order, ensure the observance of these Rules, accord and withdraw the right to speak, put questions to the vote and announce decisions.
X – VOTING
- Each member of the Standing Committee shall have one vote.
- Decisions shall be taken preferably by consensus.
In case of a vote, the relevant provisions of the Constitution (Article 24) and of the Rules of Procedure of the Council (Rules 37 to 46) shall apply.
Unless the recommendations of the Standing Committee reflect the unanimous opinion of the members present, the divergent opinions shall be reported to the Council.
XI – MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
In regard to any matter not covered by these present Rules, the Standing Committee shall apply the pertinent provisions of the Rules of Procedure of the Council.
- Any of these Rules may be temporarily suspended by the Standing Committee provided that such suspension is consistent with the terms of reference of the Standing Committee, the Rules of Procedure of the Council and the Constitution of the Organization.
- The Standing Committee shall report any such suspension to the Council.
Any of these Rules may be amended by the Standing Committee, subject to the approval of the Council, and provided that the proposed amendments are consistent with the terms of reference of the Standing Committee and the Constitution of the Organization.