Abu Dhabi Dialogue
The Abu Dhabi Dialogue launched a collaborative approach to address development in temporary labour mobility in Asia. It was initiated to broaden the base for common understanding of issues and to influence practices and policies in the area of contractual labor for the region.
The Abu Dhabi Dialogue focuses on developing four key, action-oriented partnerships between countries of origin and destination for development around the subject of temporary contractual labour, based on a notion of partnership and shared responsibility:
- Developing and sharing knowledge on labour market trends, skills profiles, workers and remittances policies and flows, and the relationship to development;
- Building capacity for more effective matching of labour supply and demand;
- Preventing illegal recruitment and promoting welfare and protection measures for contractual workers; and
- Developing a framework for a comprehensive approach to managing the entire cycle of temporary contractual work that fosters the mutual interest of countries of origin and destination.
18 Members (Current Rotating Chair: Sri Lanka)
IOM served as the ADD Secretariat from its inception in January 2008 to April 2012. In the 2nd ADD Ministerial meeting in April 2012 a set of Interim Operating Modalities were established that called for the Outgoing Chair, Current Chair, and Incoming Chair to act as the ADD Secretariat and IOM’s role transitioned to one of Observer and Thematic Expert.
- Senior Officials’ Meeting, Dubai, UAE, May 11-12, 2016
- Senior Officials’ Meeting and 3rd ADD Ministerial Consultation, Kuwait, 26-27 November 2014
- Senior Officials’ Meeting, 22 May 2014
- Labour Mobility: Enabler for Sustainable Development, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 14-15 May 2013
- Second Ministerial Consultations of the Abu Dhabi Dialogue, Manila, Philippines, 19 April 2012
- Second Senior Officials’ Meeting of the Abu Dhabi Dialogue, 17 April 2012
- Senior Officials’ Meeting to prepare for Abu Dhabi Dialogue Ministerial Consultation, Dubai, UAE, 25 January 2012
- Ministerial Consultation on Overseas Employment and Contractual Labour for Countries of Origin and Destination in Asia, Abu Dhabi, 21-22 January 2008
A support structure in Abu Dhabi is currently under deliberation. International Organizations and Civil Society Organizations are invited to participate in thematic ADD meetings as observers and thematic experts.