Climate Adaptation, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Education (CADRE) Programme.
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID)
This project aims to build the resilience of vulnerable communities in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) and the RMI to natural hazards, particularly those that are climate induced. Utilizing IOM’s existing presence in the region and expertise in climate change adaptation and disaster preparedness, IOM will target approximately 10,000 school-aged students at up to 50 schools and surrounding communities with the Climate Adaptation, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Education (CADRE) Programme. At the conclusion of the Programme it is expected that IOM will:
- Support sustainable adaptation and preparedness strategies, and increase the resilience of vulnerable schools and communities to climate change and natural hazards in the FSM and RMI;
- Empower schools and communities to independently cope with, and respond to, natural disasters; thereby filling a gap in the communication and education sectors by combining climate change adaptation (CCA) and disaster risk reduction (DRR);
- Support National Government efforts in the implementation of their national policies and strategies pertaining to adaptation and disaster risk reduction;
- Implement practices, which will assist in safe guarding the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) in the context of climate change and the impacts to which it is linked.
More information is available in this Fact Sheet.
IOM stands ready to support the Government of FSM upon its request in other areas of intervention including:
- Immigration and Border Management
- Counter Human Trafficking
- Labour Migration
- Migration and Gender
- Migration and Health
Main text: May 2012
Facts and figures: August 2014