Migration, Climate Change and Environmental Degradation
The Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) is an island nation made up of 607 islands in the north-western Pacific Ocean. It has a population of approximately 111,000.
The islands are located on the Typhoon belt and there is an increasing risk of exposure to extreme weather-related hazards due to climate change. Documented disaster information, albeit partial, indicate that for the Federated States of Micronesia, the total expenditure on response and recovery from natural disasters between 1990 and 2004 reached USD 106 million.
IOM has established a presence on the islands and is currently implementing a Disaster Mitigation, Relief and Reconstruction Programme with funding from the US Agency for International Development (USAID). The project aims to provide humanitarian relief and assistance for reconstruction and recovery following an extreme event or shock to Small Island Developing States. Moreover, together with USAID, IOM will work with the Government and communities to increase emergency response capacity as a disaster mitigation measure.
Climate Adaptation, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Education (CADRE) Programme. This project aims to build the resilience of vulnerable communities in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) and the RMI to natural hazards, particularly those that are climate induced. Utilizing IOM’s existing presence in the region and expertise in climate change adaptation and disaster preparedness, IOM will target approximately 10,000 school-aged students at up to 50 schools and surrounding communities with the Climate Adaptation, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Education (CADRE) Programme. At the conclusion of the Programme it is expected that IOM will:
- Support sustainable adaptation and preparedness strategies, and increase the resilience of vulnerable schools and communities to climate change and natural hazards in the FSM and RMI;
- Empower schools and communities to independently cope with, and respond to, natural disasters; thereby filling a gap in the communication and education sectors by combining climate change adaptation (CCA) and disaster risk reduction (DRR);
- Support National Government efforts in the implementation of their national policies and strategies pertaining to adaptation and disaster risk reduction;
- Implement practices, which will assist in safe guarding the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) in the context of climate change and the impacts to which it is linked.
More information is available in this Fact Sheet.
- Hybrid Mitigation, Relief and Reconstruction Programme
- Climate Adaptation, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Education (CADRE) Programme
IOM stands ready to support the Government of FSM upon its request in other areas of intervention including:
- Immigration and Border Management
- Counter Human Trafficking
- Labour Migration
- Migration and Gender
- Migration and Health
Main text: May 2012
Facts and figures: August 2014