Side event on ISCMs and the GCM, on the margins of the GFMD
The side-event “Mobilizing RCPs to support the implementation of GCM commitments” was organized by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Ministry of Human resources and Emiratization, IOM and the Migrant Forum Asia (MFA) on the margins of the GFMD Friends of the Forum on 3 September 2018 in Geneva.
It aimed at multi-stakeholder reflection on operationalizing the role of ISCMs and in particular RCPs in the implementation and follow-up and review of the global compact for migration and prepare for another side-event on the margins of the Global compact intergovernmental conference in December 2018. Presentations by IOM, UAE, MFA and the International Organization of Employers (IOE) addressed a government, an IGO and non-State approach to the matter. Egypt, Jamaica, Sri Lanka and ADEPT spoke from the floor.
The global compact zero draft assigned important roles to RCPs and other ISCMs in the implementation, follow-up and review of the global compact for migration especially by formulating their collective input to the International Migration Review Forum (IMRF).
It was discussed that in order to be able to play this role ISCMs need to:
- consider the global compact progress as a standard item in their meeting agendas;
- take stock of their strategies and identify their respective priorities and action-plans in relation to the global compact for migration objectives;
- be able to “translate” the global compact commitments into regional ones;
- identify ways to implement global compact commitments, where needed in cooperation with other actors;
- expand cross-regional and interregional synergies with other ISCMs;
- consider horizontal and vertical expansion and opening up to partner engagement with the aim of ensuring a whole-of-society approach as expected by the global compact for migration without jeopardizing their state-led nature;
- consider discussing global compact for migration in conjunction with other relevant global initiatives, in particular the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.