UN High-level Dialogue on International Migration and Development 2013
IOM and the 2013 UN High Level Dialogue on International Migration and Development
On 3 and 4 October 2013, the UN General Assembly held the second High Level Dialogue on International Migration and Development (“HLD”) in New York, following the first HLD of 2006.
As the global lead agency on migration, IOM has been requested by its Member States and by the UN General Assembly to participate in and contribute to the HLD, together with its UN partners. The 2013 HLD presented an important opportunity to improve the governance of migration – in particular as regards the protection of the human rights of all migrants; perceptions of migrants and migration; and reflection of migration in national and global development agendas.
For more, see Key Documents on the left hand side or visit the UN website on the HLD.
High-Level Dialogue: Side events
- 2 October, 13:15: The Importance of Regional Dynamics to International Migration and Development – co-chaired by Peru and the Russian Federation, with support from the UN Regional Commissions and IOM. See also: Regional preparations for the High-Level Dialogue
- 3 October, 13:15: The Positive Contributions of Migrants and Migrants' Well-Being – co-chaired by Bangladesh, Canada, in collaboration with IOM. See also: IOM’s 2013 World Migration Report
- 4 October, 8:00: Putting Migration on the Development Agenda: How to Integrate Migration into National Development Planning and the Post-2015 Development Agenda – co-chaired by Jamaica and Sweden, in collaboration with UNDP and IOM
- 4 October, 13:15: The Global Migration Group: Work, Priorities and Future Directions – with a keynote address by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
- IOM World Migration Report 2013 “Migrant Well-being and Development”
- Migration and the United Nations Post-2015 Development Agenda
- IOM International Dialogue on Migration - Diasporas and Development: Bridging Societies and States
- Towards the 2013 High-Level Dialogue on International Migration and Development (IOM, UNDESA, UNFPA)
- International Migration and Development: Contributions and Recommendations of the International System
Click here for IOM’s contributions to the post-2015 United Nations development agenda.