International Dialogue on Migration 2017: Understanding migrant vulnerabilities: A solution-based approach towards a global compact that reduces vulnerabilities and empowers migrants
18 - 19 July 2017
Palais des Nations, Room XVIII, Geneva
On 19 September 2016, Member States adopted the New York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants, A/70/L.61, which in Annex II sets out steps towards the achievement of a global compact for safe, orderly and regular migration (GCM) in 2018. Member States called on IOM to make use of its premier policy forum, the International Dialogue on Migration (IDM), to contribute to the preparatory process of the global compact.
Following the first workshop organized on 18-19 of April 2017 at the UN Headquarters in New York and which addressed cooperation and governance of migration, this second meeting will offer Member States and other relevant actors the opportunity to explore all aspects of migrant vulnerabilities from a policy, cooperation and practical perspective.
The overall objective of this second workshop is to address all aspects of migrant vulnerabilities and challenges involved by:
- understanding migrant vulnerability and clarifying terminology;
- identifying vulnerability and assessing the causes;
- reviewing the existing protection systems available for international migrants and specifying the protection gaps and needs;
- fostering consensus on appropriate policy response to migrant vulnerability before, during, and after their migration processes; and
- developing frameworks for inter-agency cooperation and collaboration on policies to prevent, address, and sustainably resolve migrant vulnerability.
Participants will aim to discuss and put forward recommendations for concrete and implementable measures to reduce migrants’ vulnerabilities and respond to their protection and assistance needs.
The outcome of this workshop and that of the first one organized in New York on 18-19 April 2017 will be consolidated in a publication which will be provided as input to the elaboration of the global compact on migration as stated in the modalities resolution for the intergovernmental negotiations of the global compact.