Type: Inter-regional forum on migration (regions covered: Europe - Latin America - Caribbean)
Formal association with regional or multi-stakeholder organization: European Union (EU) and Community of Latin American and CaribBean States (CELAC)
The European Union, Latin America and the Caribbean Summit is a biennial meeting of heads of state and government of Latin America, the Caribbean (LAC) and the European Union (EU), which was inaugurated in 1999 to develop a strategic partnership focused on strengthening democracy, the rule of law, international peace and political stability.
Since its foundation in December 2011, CELAC (Community of Latin American and Caribbean States) acts as the partner in this bi-regional process.
The Structured and Comprehensive bi-regional Dialogue on Migration was launched on June 30, 2009 as a follow up to the commitments of the 5th EU-LAC Summit of Heads of States and Governments of May 2008. The meeting formally adopted the joint document “Basis for Structuring the EU-LAC Dialogue on Migration”, which outlined the expected structure and content of the Dialogue and includes an indicative calendar of meetings for the coming years.
The dialogue’s objectives include: (i) identification of common challenges and areas for mutual cooperation, (ii) building a stronger evidence base for EU-LAC migration in order to better understand its realities, based on the principle of shared responsibility, (iii) strengthening the commitment and willingness of both sides to discuss migration issues.
Current Thematic Focus
- Border management and combatting document fraud
- Combatting discrimination, racism and xenophobia
- Combatting human trafficking
- Combatting migrant smuggling
- Irregular migration
- Labour migration
- Migrant’s rights
- Migration and development
- Migration data
- Voluntary return and reintegration
The European Commission European External Action Service Americas acts as the Secretariat.
Until 2015 the IRF was supported through the Project “Strengthening the dialogue and cooperation between the European Union (EU) and Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) to establish management models on migration and development policies”, implemented by IOM in coordination with FIIAPP.
Member States (58 States)
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
*Brazil suspended its activities in CELAC as of January 2020.
The Dialogue is co-chaired by the EU (Council of the EU and the European External Action Service) and CELAC.
Current Co-Chairs: Mexico for CELAC (until January 2021) and Croatia (January-June 2020)/ Germany (July-December 2020) for the Council of the EU.
2 Observer Organizations
- International and Ibero-American Foundation for Administration and Public Policies (FIIAPP)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- 8-9, November 2016 | Santiago de Chile - X High-Level Meeting of EU-CELAC Structured and Comprehensive Bi-regional Dialogue on Migration
- 10-11, June 2015 | Brussels - 2nd EU-CELAC / 8th EU-LAC "Shaping our common future: working for prosperous, cohesive and sustainable societies for our citizens"
- 20, November 2015 | Quito - 10th EU-CELAC High Level Meeting on Migration Quito
- 22, June 2015| Brussels - Technical Seminar “EU-CELAC Migration: Perspectives and Opportunities”
- 13-14, November 2013 | Brussels - 9th EU-CELAC High Level Meeting of the Structured and Comprehensive Dialogue on Migration
- 26-27, November 2013 | Brussels, Belgium - 8th EU-CELAC high Level meeting on Migration (theme: policies for the protection and integration of migrants as well as the fight against all forms of discrimination, racism and xenophobia)
- 28, November 2012 - 7th High Level Meeting (theme: trafficking of human beings and migrant smuggling)
- 25, May 2012 - 6th High Level Meeting (theme: migration and economic growth)
- 24-25, May 2011 | Brussels, Belgium - 5th High Level Meeting (theme: regular migration)
- 17, December 2010 | Brussels, Belgium - 4th High Level Meeting (theme: irregular Migration)
- 15-16, March 2010 | Madrid, Spain - 3rd High Level Meeting “Families, Vulnerable Groups and Migration”
- 17-18, February 2010 | Madrid, Spain - 2nd High Level Meeting “Education, Health and Migration”
- 25, September 2009 | Madrid, Spain - 1st High Level Meeting “Synergies between Migration and Development”
- Brussels Declaration “Shaping our common future: working together for prosperous, cohesive and sustainable societies for our citizens”
- Santiago Declaration
- EU-CELAC Action Plan for 2013-2015
- Madrid Declaration adopted at the 1st European Union – Latin America and Caribbean summit on 18 May 2010 and Madrid Action Plan for 2010-2012
- Lima Declaration “Addressing our peoples’ priorities together”, May 16, 2008
- Related links
- Contact information
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Rue Belliard, 20 (7th floor), 1040
Brussels - Belgium
International and Ibero-American Foundation for Administration and Public Policies (FIIAPP)
c / Beatriz de Bobadilla, 18. 28040
Madrid - Spain
Phone: +34. 915.914.600