Type: Regional consultative process on migration (region covered: Europe)
Formal association with regional or multi-stakeholder organization: None
The objectives of the Prague Process are to generally strengthen cooperation in migration management, and specifically to explore and develop agreed-upon principles and elements for close migration partnerships between the participating countries.
- Initiated under the Czech presidency of the EU through the endorsement of the “Building Migration Partnerships” joint declaration;
- Proceeds through Action Plans endorsed through regular Ministerial Conferences and annual Senior Officials Meetings;
- Focuses on asylum, legal migration, irregular migration and migration and development; and
- Supports the EU's Global Approach to Migration and Mobility.
Current Chair: Czechia
Past Chair: Lithuania (2018-2020), Poland (2011-2017)
- Secretariat is termed “project support unit”, and is run by ICMPD with funding from the European Union. In August 2012 - January 2016, Poland and six other leading states (Czechia, Germany, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia and Sweden) implemented the EU-funded initiative “Support for the Implementation of the Prague Process and its Action Plan”, also known as the “Prague Process Targeted Initiative” (PP TI), which supported the Prague Process Secretariat.
Members States (50 States)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Kosovo (UNSCR 1244/1999)
- Netherlands, The
- North Macedonia
- Russian Federation
- United Kingdom
Note: Since its establishment only one new Member State joined the Prague Process - Belarus in 2010.
Member Organizations (8 organizations)
The European Commission and its 4 entities:
- European Asylum Support Office (EASO)
- European Border and Coast Guard Agency (Frontex)
- European Training Foundation (ETF)
- European Union External Action Service (EEAS)
None. International or regional organizations may be invited to observe Prague Process meetings on an ad hoc basis.
- February 12, 2021, Virtual event, Webinar on demography and migration in the Prague Process region
- January 28, 2021, Virtual event, Policy Talk on Migration Outlook for 2021: From COVID-19 to the EU’s Pact on Migration and Asylum
- December 16, 2020, Virtual event, Webinar ‘From refugee crises to labour migration – and back? Lessons for migration policies in the Western Balkans’
- November 23, 2020, Virtual event, The 3rd International Conference on Comprehensive Border Management
- November 16, 2020, Virtual event, Senior Officials' Meeting
- October 22, 2020, Virtual event, Policy Talk on the EU’s New Pact on Migration and Asylum: What role for international cooperation?
- October 6-8, 2020, Virtual event, Online Workshop on Posted Migrant Workers
- October 6, 2020, Virtual event, Webinar on Building better return and reintegration programs
- September 24, 2020, Virtual event, Webinar on the EU Framework for Legal Migration: Lessons learned and main challenges
- September 10, 2020, Virtual event, Webinar on migration and the platform economy
- July 2, 2020, Virtual event, Webinar on maximizing labour migration outcomes in the Prague Process corridors practices on how to benchmark countries of destination in June 2020
- June 18, 2020, Virtual event, Webinar on Assessing the EU’s External Migration Policy
- June 9, 2020, Virtual event, Online Training Workshop on Identification and Profiling on the Border
- May 28, 2020, Virtual event, Webinar on the impact of COVID-19 on Ukrainian Labour migrants in the EU
- May 15, 2020, Virtual event, Webinar on the impact of Corona-crisis on migration
- April 16, 2020, Virtual event, Webinar on the possible impact of COVID-19 on the EU’s demand for high-skilled migrants
- October 8- 10, 2019, Vilnius, Lithuania,Training Workshop on Data Gathering and Exchange
- September 24-26, 2019, Podgorica, Montenegro,Training on Labor Migration
- July 23-24, 2019, Vienna, Austria,Research Coordination Meeting
- June 10-11, 2019 , Bucharest, Romania,Prague Process 10th Anniversary and Senior Officials' Meeting
- December 17 - 18, 2018, Prague, Czech Republic,Senior Officials' Meeting
- October 2-3, 2018, Skopje, Macedonia, 1st Workshop on Data Gathering and Exchange
- June 28-29, 2018, Vienna, Austria, Research Coordination Meeting of the Migration Observatory
- June 5-7, 2018, Rome, Italy , 1st Thematic Training of the Training Academy “Effective International Protection - Advanced Training for High-Quality Asylum Procedures”
- April 1-30, 2018, Vienna, Austria, 1st Research Coordination Meeting
- March 20, 2018, Brussels, Belgium, Mobility Partnership Facility ( MPF) II Steering Group Meeting
- February 20, 2018, Brussels, Belgium, Strategic Group Meeting
- December 12, 2017, Warsaw, Poland, Senior Officials' Meeting
- September 15, 2017, Prague, Czech Republic, Meeting of the Prague Process Strategic Group
- April 24-26, 2017, Prague, Czech Republic, Workshop on irregular migration
- June 13, 2017, Brussels, Belgium, Closing Ceremony of the Prague Process TI project .
- September 20, 2016, Bratislava, Slovakia, 3rd Prague Process Ministerial Conference.
- September 19, 2016, Bratislava, Slovakia, Senior Officials Meeting.
- June 15-16, 2016, Cracow, Poland, Senior Officials Meeting.
- May 25, 2016, Vienna, Austria, Project Steering Committee Meeting.
- April 5, 2016, Warsaw, Poland, Sixth Core Group Meeting.
- February 11-12, 2016, Sofia, Bulgaria, National Contact Points meeting on the Knowledge base, data collection and analysis.
- December 7-8, 2015, Prague, Czech Republic, Senior Officials' Meeting .
- July 6-7, 2015, Budapest, Hungary, Senior Officials' Meeting.
- February 12-13, 2015, Lisbon, Portugal, Workshop “Applied Knowledge in a Migration Policy Dialog: data collection, exchange, and application”.
- October 28-29, 2014, Berlin, Germany, Senior Officials' Meeting.
- May 6-7, 2014, Yerevan, Armenia, Pilot Project 2 (Legal Migration) and Pilot Project 3 (Migration and Development) Joint Workshop.
- March 19-20, 2014, Nuremberg, Germany, Pilot Project 4 Final Conference.
- February 27-28, 2013, Prague, Czech Republic, Senior Officials' Meeting.
- January 2013, Chisinau, Moldova, Expert-level Workshop on Migration Profiles.
- November 20, 2012, Warsaw, Poland, Core Group Meeting.
- November, 2011, Poland, Ministerial Conference.
- Bratislava Ministerial Declaration
- Prague Process Factsheet
- Discussion paper "Five years of the Prague Process: taking stock and moving forward"
More documents are available on https://www.pragueprocess.eu/en/resources/repository
- Contact Information
Prague Process Secretariat
Gonzagagasse 1, 5th floor, Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43 1 504 4677 0