«Promoviendo y fortaleciendo el diálogo y la cooperación regional»
Type: Regional consultative process on migration (Region: North and Central America)
The Regional Conference on Migration (RCM) or the Puebla Process was established in 1996, as a result of the Tuxtla II Presidential Summit in February 1996, to provide an inter- governmental regional migration forum for the exchange of information, experiences and best practices, and overall consultation to promote regional cooperation on migration within the framework of economic and social development for the region.
Current Thematic focus
1. Migration Policy and Management:
- Border control and cooperation mechanisms
- Travel documents
- Return of migrants
- Regional and extra-regional migration flows
- Cooperation in reintegration and repatriation of migrants
- Ensuring international protection of refugees
- Promoting cooperation to combat migrant smuggling and trafficking in persons
2. Human Rights:
- Consular protection
- Ensuring human rights of migrants regardless of their status, with special attention to vulnerable groups such as women and children protection for women, boys, girls and adolescents and persons in vulnerable situations in the context of migration
- Promoting migration and health activities
- Developing guidelines for the return of unaccompanied migrant minors
- Natural disaster relief
- Assistance to mixed migrant flows
3. Migration and Development
- Temporary migrant workers
- Private sector
- Migrant integration
Member States (11 States)
Current Chair: Panama
2019 Chair: Guatemala
History of RCP chairmanship:
Observer Countries (5 States)
Observer Organizations (12 organizations)
- Central American Integration System (SICA)
- Ibero-American General Secretariat (SEGIB)
- Inter-American Commission for Human Rights (IACHR)
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Office of the UN Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Migrants
- United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (UNECLAC)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
The Regional Network for Civil Organizations on Migration (RNCOM) [a coalition of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) from all 11 RCM member States]
Technical Secretariat (IOM provides technical cooperation and administrative support)
Technical Secretariat of the Regional Conference on Migration (RCM)
Edificio Sabana Business Center, Piso 7, Boulevard Ernesto Rohrmoser
San José, Costa Rica
Tel: (506) 2212-5300, Ext. 327/334/339
Mobile: (506) 8851-1009 / 7118-7015
Fax: (506) 2222-0590
Coordinator: Mr Luis Alonso Serrano
Tel: (506) 2212-5339
November 27-30, 2017, El Salvador, XXII Regional Conference on Migration.
September 19-20, 2017, El Salvador, Workshop for the Validation of the document on Protection and assistance to migrant women.
August 8-9, 2017, San José, Capacity building workshop on disaster displacement, migration and climate change for RCM Member Countries.
July 17-18, 2017, Mexico, Workshop on Passport Integrity.
July 12, 2017, San José, Meeting with Observer Organizations of the RCM.
July 6-7, 2017, Mexico, Fourth Meeting of the Ad-Hoc Group on Extra-regional Migrants.
June 29, 2017, Berlin, Work Meeting of the RCM and the SACM to develop Bi-regional Inputs concerning the Global Compact for Safe, Regular and Orderly Migration (GCM) and Follow Up on the Efforts Relating to Extra-Regional Migrants.
June 20-22, 2017, El Salvador, Meeting of the Regional Consultation Group on Migration.
June 19-20, 2017, San Salvador, Workshop “Child’s Best Interest and Sexual Gender-Based Violence case management in migration and refugee contexts: “Protecting Girls in the RCM Member Countries””.
June 8, 2017, Panama, Meeting of the Ad-Hoc Group for the elaboration of bi-regional inputs for the Global Compact.
April 4, 2017, Washington DC, Regional Event to formalize the adoption of the campaing #DeadlyBusiness.
March 30, 2017, Washington D.C, Meeting of the Troikas of the Regional Conference on Migration and the South American Conference on Migration to develop a common position towards the negotiations of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration.
March 29, 2017, Washington D.C, Meeting of the Regional Conference on Migration to define guidelines for a regional position towards the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration.
March 16-17, 2017, Honduras, First Meeting Liaison Officer Network for the protection of Migrant Boys, Girls and Adolescents.
February 20, 2017, Virtual Workshop for dialogue and consultation on best practices in systems/platforms for registration of consular actions and cases of consular protection for their nationals abroad.
February 1-2, 2017, Costa Rica, Regional Training Workshop: Protecting Nationals Abroad Affected by Crisis.
November 15-18, 2016, Honduras, XXI Regional Conference on Migration.
November 9-12, 2015, Mexico, XX Regional Conference on Migration.
July 14-16, 2015, Mexico, Seminar-Workshop “Closing the gaps: Regional Seminar on Strategies to promote the Integration and the Reinsertion of Migrant People” and Dialogue of the Regional Consultation Group on Migration (RCGM).
June 24-27, 2014, – XIX Meeting, Managua, Nicaragua (Special Declaration (EN, ES), Declaration (EN, ES), IOM Director General’s Remarks).
June 24-25, 2014, Managua, Nicaragua, Meeting of the Regional Consultation Group on Migration.
November, 2013, San José, Costa Rica, Regional Consultation Group on Migration (RCGM).
September 17-18, 2013, Costa Rica, Regional Workshop on Policies, Practices and Conclusions for the Return, Reintegration and Integration of Migrants.
June 25-28, 2013, San José, Costa Rica, XVIII Regional Conference on Migration (first regular meeting of the Regional Consultation Group on Migration, RCGM, and Vice-ministerial meeting).
November 19-23, 2012, RGCM Meeting.
June 18-22, 2012, Panama, XVII Regional Conference on Migration RCM Meeting (first regular meeting of the Regional Consultation Group on Migration, RCGM and Vice-ministerial meeting).
The RCM develops documents such as Declarations, Guidelines, Mechanisms, Protocols, Proceedings, Indicators, etc. Major RCM documents are listed below, more documents are available on RCM website (http://portal.rcmvs.org)
- XXII Vice-Ministerial Declaration (2017): http://portal.rcmvs.org/sites/default/files/Documentos%20Finales/xxii_crm_declaracion_viceministerial_final_eng.pdf
- XXI Vice-Ministerial Declaration (2016): http://portal.crmsv.org/sites/default/files/Documentos%20Finales/Declaracion%20XXI%20CRM%20-%20ENG.docx
- 2015 Mexico
- 2014 Nicaragua
- 2013 San José [ES]
- 2012 Panama City [EN | ES]
- 2011 La Romana [EN | ES]
- 2010 Tapachula [EN | ES]
- 2009 Guatemala City [EN | ES]
- 2008 Tela [EN | ES]
- 2007 New Orleans [EN | ES]
- 2006 San Salvador [EN | ES]
- 2005 Vancouver [EN | ES]
- 2004 Panama City [EN | ES]
- 2003 Cancun [EN | ES]
- 2002 Against Terrorism [EN | ES]
- 2000 On Strengthening the RCM [EN | ES]
- 2002 Antigua [EN | ES]
- 2001 San Jose [EN | ES]
- 2000 Washington [EN | ES]
- 1999 San Salvador [EN | ES]
- 1998 Ottawa [EN | ES]
- 1997 Panama [EN | ES]
- 1996 Regional Conference on Migration [EN | ES]
- Common Indicators for The Registration of Unaccompanied or Separated Migrant Boys, Girls and Adolescents in Consular Actions by Member Countries of the Regional Conference on Migration (2016): http://portal.crmsv.org/sites/default/files/publicaciones/recomendaciones_de_proteccion_consular_final_eng.docx
- A Guide to Effective Practices for RCM Member Countries: Protection for Persons Moving Across Borders in the Context of Disasters (2016): http://portal.rcmvs.org/sites/default/files/publicaciones/en_guide_rcm_march_2017.pdf
- Regional Guidelines for the Comprehensive Protection of Boys, Girls and Adolescents in the Context of Migration (2016): http://portal.crmsv.org/sites/default/files/publicaciones/lineamientos_regionales_de_actuacion_para_la_proteccion_integral_final_sin_diagramar_eng.docx
- Toward a Regional Mechanism for the Comprehensive Protection of Migrant and Refugee Boys, Girls and Adolescents (2015): http://portal.crmsv.org/sites/default/files/publicaciones/mecanismo_regional_folleto_web_eng.pdf
- Consular Protection Recommendations for Unaccompanied and Separated Migrant Boys, Girls and Adolescents Including those in Need of International Protection (2016): http://portal.crmsv.org/sites/default/files/publicaciones/recomendaciones_de_proteccion_consular_final_eng.docx
- Regional Guidelines for the Preliminary Identification and Referral Mechanisms for Migrant Populations in Vulnerable Situations (2014): http://portal.rcmvs.org/sites/default/files/publicaciones/lineamientos_ingles_cambios-disco.pdf
- Regional Guidelines for the Assistance to Unaccompanied Children in Cases of Repatriation (2009): http://portal.crmsv.org/sites/default/files/publicaciones/lineamientos_para_atencion_de_menores_no_acompanados_2009_eng.pdf
- Regional Guidelines for Special Protection in Cases of the Repatriation of Child Victims of Trafficking (2007): http://portal.rcmvs.org/sites/default/files/publicaciones/Lineamientos%20Regionales%20-%20Final%20Version%20Eng.pdf