In the framework of the production of the World Migration Report (WMR), the International Organization for Migration (IOM) organizes open seminars, focusing on the theme of the year’s report.
These seminars enable the authors of the background and working papers for the WMR, as well as other prominent academics and practitioners in the migration field, to explain and discuss their findings. Previous seminars have focused on regional trends, issues in migration governance, and specific migration opportunities and challenges.
Colleagues from international agencies as well as any other interested parties are invited to participate in the discussions at IOM's Headquarters.
WMR 2013 Seminars
- 5 September 2012 – More than Money: Does Economic Migration Bring Happiness?, by David Bartram, Senior Lecturer in Sociology at the University of Leicester
- 1 October 2012 – Measuring progress and well-being: The OECD better life initiative, by Romina Boarini Head of the Monitoring Well-Being and Progress Section at the OECD Statistics Directorate
- 10 December 2012 – Labour migration and development indicators in the post-2015 global development framework, by Philip Martin, Professor at the University of California, Davis, Chair of the UC Comparative Immigration and Integration Program
WMR 2011 Seminars
- 19 October 2011 – The Economics and Politics of Migrant Rights: A Global Analysis, by Martin Ruhs, Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS), University of Oxford
- 16 March 2011 – Key Changes in Migration Trends Since 1951, by Rainer Münz Erste Group
- 9 December 2010 – IOM from 1951-53: The Creation of PICMME/ICEM, by Dr. Jérôme Elie, Programme for the Study of Global Migration, Graduate Institute, Geneva
WMR 2010 Seminars
- 16 March 2011 - Key Changes in Migration Trends Since 1951 by Rainer Münz, Head of Research and Development, Erste Group Bank
- 9 December 2010 - IOM from 1951-53: The Creation of PICMME/ICEM by Dr. Jérôme Elie, Researcher & Coordinator of Activities at the Graduate Institute (The Programme for the Study of Global Migration)
- 14 July 2010 - Approaches and Capacity Needs in Managing the Health Aspects of Migration by Greg Irving, Health Programme Officer of the International Organization for Migration (IOM), Regional Mission for East & Central Africa
- 10 June 2010 - Portability of Pension, Health, and other Social Benefits: Facts, Concepts, Issues by Robert Holzmann, Research Director of the Labor Market Program at the Marseille Center for Mediterranean Integration (CMI)
- 8 June 2010 - The Future of Diaspora Policy: Building Government Capacity for Diaspora Engagement by Dovelyn Agunias, Policy Analyst, Migration Policy Institute (MPI)
- 1 June 2010 - Richard Brown, Associate Professor at the School of Economics, University of Queensland will present on "The Impacts of Remittances on Poverty: Some Lessons from Asia and South Pacific".
- 19 May 2010 - The Global Economic Crisis and Migration: Where Do We Go from Here? by Bimal Ghosh, Emeritus Professor at the Colombian School of Public Administration
- 25 March 2010 - Development on the Move: The Place of Migration in Future Development Strategies by Laura Chappell, Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR)
- 17 March 2010 - The Role of Local and Regional Authorities in Migration Management by Nadan Petrovic, along with Prof. Luigi Melica (Presentation) and Nuria Diaz Sacristan (Presentation)
- 17 February 2010 - Global Migration Futures Project by Carlos Varga-Silva, PhD, International Migration Institute (IMI)
- 9 February 2010 - The Role Of Migrant Care Workers In Ageing Societies by Lindsay Lowell, Director of Policy Studies, Institute for the Study of International Migration, Georgetown University
- 28 January 2010 - Connecting the Dots: A Fresh Look at Managing International Migration by Sergio Marchi, Special Advisor to the Secretary General, International Catholic Migration Commission (ICMC)
- 14 January 2010The Future of Migration Policy: Long-term Responses by Rainer Münz, Head of Research and Development, Erste Group Bank
- 13 January 2010 - A Public Goods Approach to Managing Migration by James F. Hollifield, Director of the Tower Center for Political Studies, SMU
- 29 October 2009 - The Future of Migration: Building Capacities for Change by Khalid Koser, Associate Dean and Head, New Issues in Security Programme