Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision1 of the Security Operations Officer based in Manila Administrative Centre, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing support with the daily operations of the 24/7 Communications Centre within the OSS Global Operations Centre (OPCEN) in Manila and will also perform administrative functions in support of the Global Operations Centre (OPCEN).
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assist in providing 24/7 global operational support and responses to Headquarters, all Regional Offices, and Country Offices worldwide, by responding to all incoming communications to the OSS Global Operations Centre as per internal standard operating procedures and guidelines.
- On receipt of notifications of security-related incidents that may have an impact on the security of IOM personnel, premises, assets and operational activities, directly report to the Security Operations Officer, Duty Officer (DO) or designated Officer-in-Charge (OIC), in the absence of the Security Operations Officer, via all identified means of communication.
- As instructed by the Security Operations Officer, Duty Officer (DO), or designated Officer-inCharge (OIC), in the absence of the Security Operations Officer, send out notifications through Incident Flash Reports (IFR) and (SCAAN) reports to the Senior Staff Security Operations Officer in Headquarters in respect to major security-related incidents that may have an impact on IOM global operations. When instructed, send out notifications to the Chiefs of Missions, Field Security Officers, Organization Country Security Focal Points (OCSFPs) and their alternates, of any security incidents that may have an impact on operational activities.
- Actively monitor open media sources for information relevant to the global security environment and prepare detailed endorsement reports at the end of each shift. This includes a report on monitored news during each shift that is relevant for Security Information Operations Cell (SIOC), including news links as reference for processing and monitoring of Regional Security Analysts for electronic Global Security Reports (eGSO) and electronic Monthly Security Bulletins (eMSB).
- Whilst on duty monitor the SCAAN dashboard and escalate via the defined channels when a SCAAN notification is received from IOM staff members globally, including notifications received from UNSMS agencies using SCAAN as their primary Security Communications Systems (SCS). Ensure the SCAAN Dashboard is constantly being monitored (for SCAAN Instant messages [IM], ‘Not Okay Status’ activations, advisories, staff headcounts, reports [Basic and Advanced2 ], GDAC [Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System] News Feeds etc.) and responded to and/or being updated. In parallel to this, directly coordinate with the SCAAN team for technical and further operational support.
- Assist in maintaining all information boards and operational maps, located in the Global Operations Centre and ensure that data remains current (i.e.Missions on Monitor, Conflict, Election Monitoring, and Geological Hazards).
- Keep the IOM global directory of Regional Security Officers, Field Security Officers, Regional Directors, Chief of Missions, Resource Management Officers, Organization Country Security Focal Points and Alternate Organization Country Security Focal Points updated.
- Maintain an orderly filing system for all records, communications, electronic logs, databases for the Global Operations Centre. 2 These refer to reports posted on SCAAN according to these three categories e.g. Info, Warn and Danger, as outlined in IN:260 Security Communications and Analysis Network (SCAAN Instruction and Guidelines; Section 7 Reporting Security Incidents.
- Ensure that all equipment and office assets in the Global Operations Centre are in good working condition, maintaining an asset list/inventory of such assets.
- Coordinate with OSS Resource Management team for procurement needs such as repairs or replacement as required with the endorsement of the Security Operations Officer.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
- University degree in Communication Arts, Development Studies, Behavioural Sciences, International Studies, Security Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two (2) years of relevant experience; or,
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with four (4) years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience working for an international organization is an advantage;
- Previous experience in information management, research, and reporting is desirable;
- Previous experience working on a shifting schedule is an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Teams),
- Knowledgeable in electronic mapping systems Google Earth);
- Able to maintain confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Managing and sharing knowledge
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
How to apply
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 30 Nov 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 111/2023 Communications Centre Operator) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
For internal candidates, please send in your updated CV and cover letter using your IOM email account for your application to be considered valid.
Applications must consist of a cover letter, a duly-accomplished IOM Personal History Form, and a résumé highlighting education and experience relative to the above qualifications.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.