Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the OHU Senior Administrative Officer, Occupational Health Unit Manila (OHU MAC), in coordination with the OHU National Medical Admin Officer and in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer of the Occupational Health Unit Geneva (OHU Geneva) and the Director of the Manila (Global) Administrative Center, the successful candidate is responsible for the coordination and follow up of Occupational and Non-occupational accidents as well as Occupational illnesses, responsible for coordination of all IOM medical examinations (EOD, AME, PME, and Exit) for Field staff and non-staff, as well as coordination of medical clearances for admission in the Insurance for both staff and dependents in the assigned Asian countries, will perform other administrative and secretarial functions of the unit, given responsibility for the administration and coordination of travel medical clearances for Field staff non-staff and Professionals within the assigned population, sick leave management and follow up of all GS/NO staff within his/her assigned population
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Coordinate and process Occupational and Non-Occupational accidents, injuries, and illnesses in all regions of the world covered by MAC, PAC and HQ.
- Receive and compile notifications of accidents, illness, and injuries from staff members for any related incidents.
- Ensure compliance with the IN 95 Rev 2, especially the reporting period for the incident
- Ensure completeness of information pertaining to any reported cases, and request for medical reports, police reports if applicable, Chief of mission confirmatory accounts.
- Follow up requirements, additional or missing information/documents especially for occupational accidents and illnesses
- Analyze and investigate incident reports in coordination with duty station Human Resources, National officers, RMO and COM, and other witnesses.
- Suggest applicable and possible scenarios based on time, place, and surrounding circumstances.
- Present conclusions and recommendations to the Medical Officers to assist in categorizing cases.
- Validate certified sick leaves and occupational injury leaves related to the cases and inform IUM for insurance side to allow indemnity payments to the duty station involved
- Coordinate with OHU Admin managing prolonged SLs for cases of prolonged SLs
- Liaise all certified sick leave and occupationally related absences with Human Resources for recording
- Follow through any leave extensions
- Compile, summarize, analyze, and present medical records in chronological order to the Medical officer for final review and assessment for possible permanent disability or impairment indemnity in a timely manner
- Coordinate and relay Medical Officers’ decision to CP Admin of IUM and to Insurance unit Geneva for HI cases, for further administrative procedures.
- Conduct regular follow up for specific due dates e.g. assessment for full/partial invalidity (2 years after), final assessment (at end of the 5-year CP coverage)
- Assist the OHU Medical officer by providing required documents, summaries as requested and other information during times of staff dispute and legal cases.
- Prepare periodic, year-end reports on Occupational and Non-occupational accidents and illnesses, as necessary.
- Perform and coordinate other actions when required
- Coordination of all IOM medical examinations (EOD, AME, PME, and Exit)
- Ensure that medical files are complete and that follow-up is made prior to presenting complete documents to the OHU Medical Officer for evaluation.
- Ensure that medical clearance, insurance admission, conclusions on fitness are relayed in a timely manner to Personnel Administration and to the Mission’s/Country Office’s Human Resources focal point and Insurance Unit Manila (IUM).
- Relay to the candidate/staff any medical findings, advice, request, or recommendation following a review of their medical exams; Exclusions for insurance admission.
- Follow up on all further need for medical information pointed out by the OHU Medical Officer.
- Maintain regular contact with the Missions/Country Offices, to ensure compliance with the instructions on on EoD, PME, AME for Field staff. Coordinate those who are due for the periodic exams (PME and AME).
- Coordinate the admission to Medical Service Plan (MSP) insurance for Field employees.
- Coordinate with HR and IUM concerns on eligibility and insurance coverage.
- Upload all medical exams Entry-on-Duty (EOD), Periodic Medical Exam (PME), Annual Medical Exam (AME), Exit and other medical reports, supportive documents in the Occupational Health computerized System
- Maintain the filing systems in appropriate, secured and locked storage locations.
- Coordination of the medical clearance for admission into Medical Service Plan (MSP) insurance for Field employees and their Dependents; admission into the MSP and Health Insurance (HI) for Dependents of Professional staff for the assigned population
- Ensure the flow of information between the Missions and the Health Claim Processing in IUM concerning acceptance of local staff members and dependents into the MSP insurance.
- In the case of Missions newly entering the MSP, ensure that the Administration Unit in the Mission is informed of, understands and complies with the procedures.
- Prepare periodic and ad hoc reports as necessary.
- Advice to travelers – Coordination of all travel medical clearances for Field staff in assigned Asian countries.
- In coordination with OHU Medical Officer, prepare and send out medical clearances and share medical travel advice for Field staff in SEA and Oceania, and All Professional staff within OHU MAC’s population who are required to travel for professional reasons
- Review staff vaccinations and inform them what needs to be done or updated
- Follow up as necessary so that medical requirements are completed before employees’ travel on duty/short term assignment (TDY/STA), based on what is required for each.
- Share related OHU travel advice, the IN 229 and the link to Staff Welfare intranet
- Responsible for the administrative and secretarial functions for the Medical Officer for field employees
- Maintain the agenda of the Medical Officer.
- Organize the travels (TDY) of the Medical Officer, liaise with him/her during the TDY, and disseminate his/her reports.
- Coordinate Purchase requests for the unit
- Coordinate issues of the office to Common services (cleaning, electrical, etc.)
- Liaise with Occupational Health Unit (OHU) at HQ
- Collect medical and insurance data and produce yearly statistics, graphics.
- Ensure that all information concerning Field employees in the Asia and the Pacific, needed for insurance purposes (coverage after cessation of participation and exclusions in MSP), is sent in a timely fashion to OHU who is responsible for on-forwarding to Allianz.
- Provide all other data as needed
- Provide induction, on-the-job training and coaching to junior staff and interns in the OHU as required.
- Perform duties in the absence of the National OHU Medical and Administrative Officer.
- Upload staff files into the Occupational Health computerized System (OHS)
- Upload new files and medical reports into OHS as they are reaching OHU.
- Upload into OHS old hardcopy files that have not been uploaded yet.
- Coordination of all IOM medical examinations (EOD, AME, PME, and Exit)
- Any other related duties as may be assigned
- University degree in Business Administration, Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four (4) years of relevant professional experience; or,
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six (6) years of relevant professional experience.
Accredited Universities are those listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database.
- Experience in handling confidential matters with tact and discretion.
- Experience with Insurance claims and classification of occupational injuries and accidents
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team and with colleagues from different cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Experience with HR IT systems and application, an advantage.
- Ability to draft correspondences and communicate effectively in English
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Managing and sharing knowledge
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications online by clicking on the APPLY button and completing the profile registration.