Based on the Joint Africa-Europe Strategy, adopted at the Second EU-Africa Summit in Lisbon in December 2007, the Africa-EU Strategic Partnership is the formal channel through which the European Union and the African continent work together.
One of the eight areas for strategic partnerships is Migration, mobility and employment. This strategic partnership reflects a common understanding and commitment to provide comprehensive responses to these issues with the particular objectives of creating better jobs in Africa and better managing migration flows.
The second action plan adopted at the Third Africa-EU Summit in Tripoli in November 2010 identified the areas of cooperation for the years 2011–2013 and emphasized higher education as an integrated part of this partnership. It had two main strands: enhancing dialogue and identifying and implementing concrete actions.
The Africa – EU Partnership on Migration, Mobility and Employment (MME) is thus slinked to the Tripoli Process.
The Africa-EU Migration, Mobility and Employment (MME) Partnership aims to ensure sustainable development through better management of and joint cooperation on MME issues. It pushes for the implementation of relevant international agreements and declarations, in particular the Tripoli Declaration on Migration and Development, the Ouagadougou Action Plan to Combat Trafficking in Human Beings, Especially Women and Children and the Ouagadougou Declaration and Plan of Action for Promotion of Employment and Poverty Alleviation.
This initiative, launched by the European Commission (EC) and the African Union Commission (AUC), provides support by providing an open framework for consultations on a flexible thematic and geographic basis, by strengthening the leadership of the key stakeholders and by facilitating the exchange of information and good practices.
Within this framework, the AU is being supported by the European Commission (EC) on its capacity building initiatives with the Africa Regional Economic Communities (RECs) as well as on the establishment of the African Remittance Institute (ARI) which was launched in Addis Ababa in early June 2010.
The Joint EU – Africa Declaration on Migration and Development has contributed to wider initiatives including migration and mobility partnerships of which the seventh partnership on stability, employment and migration is vigorously being pursued as a key agenda item for many governments with the support of the EU.
Similarly, the EU is providing support to the African Union towards its capacity building initiatives in support of the RECs within the framework of the EU-Africa strategic partnerships.
- Trafficking in Human Beings
- Irregular migration
- Mobility and labour migration
- International Protection (human rights of migrants, irrespective of their legal status)
MME is supported by the Support Project for the Africa - EU Partnership on Migration, Mobility and Employment (MME), steered by the AUC and the EC according to the priorities defined by African and EU states in the framework of the consultation structures established by the Africa-EU strategy.
82 Member States
Including 54 AU Member States and 28 EU Member States
- African Union Commission (AUC)
- European Commission
- International and Ibero-American Foundation for Administration and Public Policies (FIIAPP)
- African Institute for Economic Development and Planning (IDEP)
- Senior Officials Meeting on MME, 27 - 28 November, 2013, Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Officials MME Meeting, 15-17 September 2010, Brussels, Belgium
- 4th EU- Africa summit, Brussels, April 02-03, 2014Africa–EU Summit “Adoption of the Second Action Plan, which covers 2011–2013,” 29–30 November 2010, Tripoli, Libya
- 2nd Africa-EU Summit, Lisbon, Portugal, 8 December – 9 December 2007
- Joint Africa-EU Declaration on Migration and Development, adopted at the EU-Africa Ministerial Conference on Migration and Development, held in Tripoli (22-23 November 2006)
- Second Action Plan 2011-2013, adopted at the Third Africa-EU Summit, Tripoli (29-30 November 2010)
- Related Links
- Contact Information
The Support Project for the Africa - EU Partnership on Migration, Mobility and Employment (MME)
ICMPD Brussels Mission
Rue Belliard 159, 2nd floor
1040 Brussels, Belgium
Tel: +32 2 233 1160
Fax: +32 2 231 1430