Every year since 2005, the IML Unit, in collaboration with the International Institute for Humanitarian Law in Sanremo, Italy, organizes courses on International Migration Law (IML). The course is available in English, French and Spanish (for information please contact email@example.com or see http://iihl.org/migration-law-courses/). Since 2005, the IML Course has been delivered in person in Sanremo, Italy, and since 2020, it is also available online. Since 2005, the IML Course has run at least 24 editions reaching at least 1,144 participants from 153 counties.
The Course on International Migration Law is designed for government officials, academia, representatives of international and non-governmental organizations, as well as members of civil society. It focuses on the international legal framework governing migration, including the rights and responsibilities of States and migrants.
The key objective of this Course is to equip government officials and those working in the migration field with an understanding of the international standards that are relevant for good governance of migration. Topics to be covered during the Course includes inter alia:
- Migration key concepts and introduction to the rights-based approach
- Overview of the applicable legal framework related to migration: focus on human rights
- Principles surrounding exit, entry and stay
- Identification and referral mechanisms
- Trafficking and smuggling of persons
- Environment and mobility
- Principle of non-discrimination: economic, social and cultural rights of migrants
- Detention and alternatives to detention
- Law of the Sea and migration
During the Course, participants have a unique opportunity to interact not only with each other, but also with recognised experts who facilitate the various thematic sessions of the programme. Different participatory methodologies (e.g., simulations, role-play, case studies and mapping exercises) are used in order to maximize learning. A certificate of attendance will be issued upon successful completion of the Course.