Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The position is based in Manila Administrative Centre (MAC), headed by the Director of MAC. Information and Communications Technology (ICT) is one of the divisions with its operations delocalized to MAC.
Under the overall supervision of the ICT Officer (Software Development) and direct supervision of the ICT Officer (Applications Development), and in close co-ordination with the ICT Officer (Project Management) and the ICT Officer (Solutions Architect), the successful candidate will be responsible for the coding of system components according to design specifications, corporate standards and best practices and solution design.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Code system components according to design specifications, corporate standards and best practices and solution design.
- Assist in the development, using Object Oriented design principles and software design patterns, to attain high reusability and maintainability.
- Implement the detailed application design of the system provided by the application Architect.
- Adhere to the version control system, build and release processes and coding standards.
- Participate design and code walk-through for review and incorporate feedback into design and code artefacts.
- Work with team members to identify potential risks in application design and delivery.
- Perform unit and integration tests and resolve any resulting issues/bugs.
- Work with architect and develop business systems using the .NET framework.
- Communicate project status, issues and risk factors to project team members.
- Provide tier 3 technical support of the application Portfolio, ensuring agreed SLAs are met.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Master’s degree in Computer Sciences, Information Technology or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or,
- University degree in the above fields with two (2) years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification in the area of study and practice above, or a Microsoft Certified professional developer is a distinct advantage.
- Sound and specialist knowledge of object-oriented architecture and design patterns for building highly scalable applications using .NET framework (4.5).
- Demonstrates effective application of knowledge and understanding in NET development and C#, SQL Server 2016 – Stored procedures, Functions, Views, Indexes, Relational Database Design.
- Extensive experience in building Web applications and/or Web services using the .NET Framework and Visual Studio 2017 and up.
- Excellent knowledge.
- Experience in developing design artefacts based on UML notations and using standard tools;
- Proficient in back, middle and front-end development.
- Possesses knowledge and understanding of XML documents, XSD schemas, XSLT to develop the necessary schemas and maps to represent the flow of the messages through the solution.
- Possess a good understanding of relational database concepts.
- Possess a good understanding of SOAP/REST webservices and their payload schema.
- Experience in SVN and/or GIT.
- Demonstrates an analytical and systematic approach to issue resolution.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills both oral and written.
- Possess client-side Web development skills (HTML, CSS, JQuery/AngularJS/ReactJS).
- Ability to work with cross cutting and diverse teams.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Managing and sharing knowledge
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Proactively develops strategies to accomplish objectives and empowers others to translate vision into results.
- Provides clear vision, direction and purpose and charts a clear course to achievement.
- Does not accept the status quo; drives for improvement and change, inspiring others to embrace it.
- Builds positive influence across the wider organization and strategic relationships with external stakeholders.
Empowering others & building trust
- Encourages individuals to take initiatives and responsibility for putting new ideas/activities into practice and making them work.
- Supports teams to succeed, devoting dedicated time to empowering people through coaching and mentoring and sharing expertise/knowledge.
- Inspires enthusiasm and a positive attitude in people towards their work and contribution to the Organization’s success.
- Promotes autonomy and empowerment throughout the Organization.
Strategic thinking & vision
- Always works with an orientation to the future, encouraging others to consider the Organization’s medium and long-term strategy when setting departmental objectives.
- Steps back from operational issues to focus on a long-term direction for the area of responsibility.
- Identifies strategic issues and risks that may impede the delivery of the Organization’s strategic objectives and addresses concerns in a timely manner to gain buy-in from stakeholders.
- Generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction inspiring others to pursue that same direction.
How to apply
Interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 20 Nov 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 116/2023 – National ICT Officer (.NET Applications Development) (Teleradiology)) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Applications must consist of a cover letter, a duly-accomplished IOM Personal History Form, and a résumé highlighting education and experience relative to the above qualifications.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.