Caribbean Migration Consultations (CMC)
Type: Regional consultative process on migration (region: Caribbean and Central America)
Formal association with regional or multi-stakeholder organization: None
- Create a non-binding forum that allows member countries to openly discuss migration topics in order to develop consistent and coordinated regional efforts for the effective management of migration.
- Coordinate and promote information exchange between member states, with emphasis in sharing good practices related to migration governance.
- Develop policies with a rights-based approach aimed at an effective comprehensive migration governance in the region.
Current Thematic Focus
Specific areas of CMC’s discussion include:
- Border Management
- Climate change
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Labour migration
- Migrant smuggling
- Migration data
- Migration and Development
- Migration and health
- Refugee protection
States, territories and countries
(No formal membership procedures yet established)
|Antigua and Barbuda|
|St. Kitts and Nevis|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Trinidad and Tobago|
|Turks and Caicos|
Upcoming Chair – Jamaica
The Netherlands and the United States attended the 2017 CMC meeting.
No rule has been defined on observership.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- CARICOM IMPACS
No Secretariat has yet been established.
CMC participants have requested IOM and UNHCR support to develop the CMC.
IOM Regional Office for Central and North America and the Caribbean
Sabana Business Center
San José, Costa Rica
Tel.: +506 22 12 53 00
Fax: +506 22 22 05 90
- November 2019, Kingston, Jamaica, 1st CMC Meeting
- September 18-19, 2019, Kingston, Jamaica, Labor Migration
- September 5-6, 2019 , St. George’s, Grenada, Diaspora Engagement
- June 5 – 6, 2019, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Regional Consultation Towards a Framework for Regional Cooperation on Human Mobility in the Context of Disasters and the Adverse Effects of Climate Change in the Caribbean
- March 12 – 14, 2019, Georgetown, Guyana, Caribbean Regional Thematic Meeting on Trafficking in Human Beings and Smuggling of Migrants
- March 6, 2019, San Jose, Costa Rica, Webinar on Labour Migration as an Adaptation Strategy to Environmental Change in the Caribbean
- January 30, 2019, San Jose, Costa Rica, Webinar on the Potential of Diaspora and Development
- September 24 - 25 2018, Montego Bay, Jamaica, CMC Workshop on Migration Data Collection and Management
- 26-27 April 2018, Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago, First Workshop of the Caribbean Migration Consultations Counter-Trafficking Network
- 10 - 11 April 2018, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, High-level Workshop on Human Mobility and Disasters in the Caribbean
- 4 – 6 December 2017, Nassau, The Bahamas, CMC meeting on Refugee protection
- 5-8 December 2016, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, First Technical Workshop of Caribbean Countries in the Framework of the Caribbean Migration Consultations (CMC), Immigration Division [https://app.box.com/v/CMCfiles]
- 18-19 January 2016, Belize, Preparatory Meeting for the Caribbean Migration Consultations, Radisson
For all the workshop documents, click the links to respective events here: https://caribbeanmigration.org/events
“Migration Governance in the Caribbean. Report on the Island States of the Commonwealth Caribbean (CMC)
For additional CMC and CMC-related documents, please visit the CMC Repository.”