Caribbean Migration Consultations (CMC)
Type: Regional consultative process on migration (region: Caribbean and Central America)
Formal association with regional or multi-stakeholder organization: None
- Create a non-binding forum that allows member countries to openly discuss migration topics in order to develop consistent and coordinated regional efforts for the effective management of migration.
- Coordinate and promote information exchange between member states, with emphasis in sharing good practices related to migration governance.
- Develop policies with a rights-based approach aimed at an effective comprehensive migration governance in the region.
Current Thematic Focus
Specific areas of CMC’s discussion include:
- Border management
- Data sharing
- Countering migrant smuggling and combatting human trafficking
- Refugee protection
Members States (17 States)
|Antigua and Barbuda|
|St. Kitts and Nevis|
|Trinidad and Tobago|
|Turks and Caicos|
* Barbados, Bermuda, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, St. Vincent and the Grenadines attended CMC meetings in the past.
No formal Chair has been elected as RCP operating modalities are still to be developed.
Bahamas is the last country that hosted a CMC meeting.
No rule has been defined on observership. The Netherlands and the USA attended the 2017 CMC meeting.
Observer Organizations (2 organizations)
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
No Secretariat has been established so far.
CMC members have requested IOM and UNHCR support to develop the CMC.
IOM Regional Office for Central and North America and the Caribbean
Avenida Central entre calles 27 y 29, Casa 2775
San José, Costa Rica
Tel.: +506 22 12 53 00
Fax: +506 22 22 05 90
4 – 6 December 2017, Nassau, The Bahamas, CMC meeting on Refugee protection
5-8 December 2016, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, First Technical Workshop of Caribbean Countries in the Framework of the Caribbean Migration Consultations (CMC), Immigration Division [https://app.box.com/v/CMCfiles]
18-19 January 2016, Belize, Preparatory Meeting for the Caribbean Migration Consultations, Radisson [https://app.box.com/s/crjgb4b34sh6vxz7amwsr3h5xl9w9tfr; https://app.box.com/s/ozpo1xo8n89o88chodtrt2q5xm98f333]
Concept Note of the Preparatory Meeting for the Caribbean Regional Consultative Process
Report on the Caribbean Migration Consultations Meeting on Refugee protection hosted by the government of the Bahamas on 4-6 December 2017