Type: Regional consultative process on migration (region: Africa)
Formal association with regional or multi-stakeholder organization: Intergovernmental Authority on Development
The Intergovernmental Authority on Development Regional Consultative Process on Migration or IGAD-RCP (also known as the Migration Dialogue for the IGAD Region or MiD-IGAD) aims to promote the common position of the IGAD Member States and African Union (AU) as provided in the AU's Migration Policy Framework. Furthermore, it aims to facilitate regional dialogue and co-operation in migration management amongst IGAD Member States by:
- Fostering greater understanding and policy coherence in migration;
- Strengthening regional institutional and technical capacities to implement the Migration Policy Framework for Africa, the African Common Position on Migration and Development, the Joint Africa-EU Declaration on Migration and Development and other AU and IGAD policies on migration; and
- Improving inter-state and intra-regional cooperation on migration management among countries of origin, transit and destination.
- Progress toward formulation and harmonization at the national and IGAD level of legislation, policies and practices in the following areas: (i) Legal/Labour migration management; (ii) Irregular migration, trafficking and smuggling, and border management; and (iii) Migration and development matters.
Current Thematic Focus
- Migration policy, migration management and migration governance in the IGAD region
- Migration and development
- Labour migration
- Border management
- Irregular migration
- Migration and regional integration
- Refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs)
- Combatting human trafficking
- Combatting migrant smuggling
- Climate change, human mobility and displacement
- Technical cooperation and capacity building
- Data and information collection, dissemination and sharing
- The process leading up to the Global Compact for Migration
IGAD Secretariat, in collaboration with the AU Commission and IOM.
Member States (7 States)
- South Sudan
Suspended Members (1 State)
Note: Founding Members: Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan and Uganda.
Current Chair: Sudan
Past Chair: Ethiopia
Observers (called “Partners” by IGAD-RCP)
- African Union (AU) Commission
- European Commission (EC)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- World Bank
States (e.g. Chad, Egypt, Libya, Niger, Tunisia, Yemen, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Greece, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, UK, USA), other AU Regional Economic Communities (e.g. ECOWAS, EAC, SADC, ECCAS, CENSAD), Inter-Governmental and non-governmental organizations can be invited to participate to IGAD-RCP meetings on an ad hoc basis.
- February 26, 2020, Khartoum, Sudan, Ministerial Meeting on the Protocol on Free Movement of Persons in the IGAD Region
- October 7-8, 2019, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 12th IGAD Regional Consultative Process on Migration Meeting “A Regional Exchange on Experiences in Supporting Resilience and Durable Solutions to Internal Displacement in the IGAD Region"
- August 27-29, 2019, Nairobi, Kenya, Towards Migration Data Harmonization in East and Horn of Africa: Initiating and Action Plan
- August 1, 2019, Mogadishu, Somalia, Validation Workshop on Capacity and Institutional Assessment for area-based development in areas of return and reintegration in Somalia
- July 4, 2019, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 5th Biannual Meeting of Experts of Member States in Charge of Education for Refugees, Returnees and Host Communities
- October 10, 2018, Djibouti, Djibouti, 11th IGAD Regional Consultative Process on Migration Meeting “Enhancing Labour Migration in the IGAD Region”
- March 15, 2108, Djibouti, Djibouti, 4th Technical Working group on Migration
- July 27-28, 2017, Nairobi, Kenya, 9th IGAD RCP Meeting “Climate Change, Human Mobility and Displacement”
- May 16-17, 2016, Khartoum, 4th Meeting of IGAD RCP Regional Migration Coordination Committee “Migration Governance in the Greater Horn of Africa Region”
- May 18, 2016, Khartoum, 7th Meeting of IGAD RCP “Strengthening national and regional coordination efforts in the IGAD region to better address regional initiatives and programmes”
- May 26-29, 2015, Uganda, IGAD-RCP Meeting.
- November 26-27, 2014, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, IGAD-RCP Meeting on Refugees IDPs and Returnees.
- May 9-10, 2013, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, IGAD-RCP meeting “Migration and Regional Integration”.
- February 6-7, 2012, IGAD-RCP meeting "Migration and Development".
- November 29 - December 1, 2010, Moshi, Tanzania, – Technical Training on Migration Management for Senior Government Officials from IGAD Member States.
- October 20-22, 2010, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Workshop in Partnership with the AUC Department of Social Affairs.
- Declaration on the Establishment of IGAD-RCP
- AU Migration Policy Framework for Africa
- African Common Position on Migration and Development
- Joint Africa-EU Declaration on Migration and Development
- Concept Note, Workshop on IGAD Regional Consultative Process
- 2010 Workshop Report on Migration Management for Senior Government Officials
- 2008 Workshop Report on Inter-State and Intra-Regional Cooperation on Migration Management
- 2005 Expert Paper on International Migration Management through Inter-State Consultation Mechanisms
- IGAD Regional Migration Policy Framework (2012)
- IGAD-Migration Action Plan (MAP) 2015-2020 to operationalize The IGAD Regional Migration Policy Framework
- Contact Information
Mr Charles Obila
Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) Secretariat
Ave Georges Clemenceau, Djibouti
P.O Box 2653, Republic of Djibouti
T +253 21 348 421
Mr Aron Tekelegzi
National Liaison Officer to AU/IGAD/UNECA
IOM Ethiopia Special Liaison Office to African Union and IGAD
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Tel: +251 912 507 849
No specific website for the IGAD-RCP, but see IGAD Migration or IGAD RCP Section on the IGAD Website.