Type: Regional Consultative Proces on Migration (region covered: Africa)
Association with regional or multi-stakeholder organization: Southern African Development Community (SADC)
The Migration Dialogue for Southern Africa (MIDSA) creates a framework for a regular migration dialogue among the Member States of the Southern African Development Community (SADC), to enhance inter-state cooperation in an effort to improve migration governance through:
- Discussion of migration issues among SADC Member States in an informal seeting, sharing experience and challenges, and finding solutions collectively, to improve migration management in the SADC region.
- Promotion of the positive aspects of migration among SADC Member States; and
- Development of regional institutional capacities to improve migration governance while strengthening the capacity of Governments to meet their migration challenges in a comprehensive, interactive, self-reliant and, ultimately, sustainable way.
Current Thematic Focus
Specific areas of focus include:
- Border management
- Combatting human trafficking
- Combatting migrant smuggling
- Irregular migration
- Plow migration
- Migrant health
- Migrants' rights
- Migration and development
- Return and readmission
- Migration governance
- Unaccompanied migrant children / separated children
- Current Chair: The Democratic Republic of Congo
- Past Chair: Malawi (2022), Mozambique (2021), Tanzania (2020), Namibia (2019), South Africa (2017), Eswatini (2016)
- IOM provides technical and administrative support to the MIDSA.
Member States (16 States)
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- South Africa
Note: Founding Members: Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Observer States (9 States)
- Netherlands, The
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
Observer Organizations (6 Organizations referred by MIDSA as "partner organizations")
- African Union Commission
- International Labor Organization (ILO)
- Save the Children
- International United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- November 7-10, 2022, Malawi, MIDSA Senior Officials Meeting “Strengthening Migration Management in Southern Africa through Scaling-up Interventions that Facilitate Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration in Southern Africa”
- October 25-28, 2021, Maputo, Mozambique, MIDSA Ministerial Meeting “Reviewing Approaches to Safe, Regular and Orderly Migration in the Context of COVID-19 in the Southern Africa Region”
- June 25-28, 2019 Windhoek, Namibia, Senior Officials' and Ministerial Meetings, “Regional Migration Governance and Sustainable Development: Priorities for the Southern Africa Region”
- September 11 - 13, 2018, Pretoria, South Africa, Senior Officials 'Meeting “Enhancing Migration Governance in the Southern Africa Region: Harnessing the Youth Dividend for Sustainable Development and Regional Integration” June 27-28, 2018, South Africa, Senior Officials' Meeting
- September 2-4, 2017, Ezulwini, Eswatini, Ministerial Meeting "Addressing Mixed Migration in Southern Africa: Linking Protection, Immigration, Border Management and Labor Migration".
- August 16-18, 2016, Gaborone, Botswana, Technical Meeting: Addressing Mixed Migration in Southern Africa: Linking Protection, Immigration, Border Management and Labor Migration ".
- July 7-9, 2015, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, Ministerial Meeting under the theme, “Addressing Mixed and Irregular Migration in the SADC region: Protection of the Unaccompanied Migrant Child”. FInal Declaration ( EN | FR | PR ).
- June 30- July 2, 2014 - Lilongwe, Malawi, Senior Officials' Meeting under the theme, “Taking Stock of Efforts to Address Mixed and Irregular Migration” .
- July 10-11, 2013 - Maputo, Mozambique, Ministerial meeting under the theme “Enhancing Labor Migration and in the SADC Region”.
- August 27-29, 2012 - Balaclava, Mauritius, Technical Meeting to bring together Southern African Development Community (SADC) Permanent Secretaries responsible for issues of migration and their counterparts responsible for labor mobility.
- November 15-17, 2010 - Windhoek, Namibia, MIDSA Ministerial Conference on Migration through Regional Cooperation,
- SADC Labor Migration Action Plan for 2013-2015
- SADC Labor Migration Action Plan for 2016-2019
- SADC Irregular Migration and Mixed Migration Action Plan for 2015-2018
- Final MIDSA 2016 Conclusions and Recommendations
- Report and Recommendations of the MIDSA Conference on Adressing Mixed and Irregular Migration in the SADC Region: Protection of the Unaccompanied Migrant Child (2015)
- 2015 Ministerial Declaration, Victoria Falls ( EN | FR | PR )
- 2013 MIDSA Ministerial Report and Recommendations, Maputo
- 2010 MIDSA Ministerial Report and Recommendations, Windhoek
MIDSA Workshop Reports:
- 2009 Promoting Health and Development
- 2006 Irregular Migration
- 2005 Migration Management
- 2004 Development
- 2004 Health
- 2004 Smuggling
- 2003 Extra Regional
- 2003 Forced Migration
- 2003 Trafficking
- 2002 Trafficking
MIDSA Workshop Report and Recommendations:
- Related Links
- Contact information