Through the Integration and Migrant Training unit (IMT), as part of Labour Mobility and Human Development Division (LHD), the International Organization for Migration (IOM) works on a comprehensive and whole-of-society approach to migrant integration to ensure that migrants are prepared before their departure and upon their arrival, allowing them to successfully integrate in their host societies.
IOM offers technical and thematic support to beneficiaries and stakeholders such as internal IOM staff, Member States, private sector, local authorities and civil society organizations through trainings, workshops, advisory services, and other capacity-building initiatives, drawing on a range of integration models and best practices gained through field experience.
It also manages and oversees global and regional initiatives on migrant integration and training such as the Diversity, Inclusion and Social Cohesion (DISC) Initiative, the Canadian Orientation Abroad (COA) Programme, Australian Cultural Orientation (AUSCO) Programme as well as the development of measurement tools and assessment studies to capture the multidimensional integration outcomes of migrants.
- Networks and Partnerships
IOM’s global programming on migrant integration and training maintains strong ties with various State-led processes, UN agencies and a wide-range of stakeholders who are active and reputed in the field of migration management.
Inter-state mechanisms and processes
- European Migration Network
- InterGovernmental Consultations on Migration, Asylum and Refugees (IGC)
- Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD)
- Euro-African Dialogue on Migration and Development (Rabat Process)
- South American Conference on Migration (SACM)
- UN Migration Network
- Regional Interagency Coordination Platform for Refugees and Migrants from Venezuela (R4V)
- The UN Refugee Agency - UNHCR
Academe and Think Tanks
- University of Oxford's Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS)
- Immigration Policy Lab (IPL)
- Migrant Integration Policy Index – CIDOB and MPG (MIPEX)
For more information, please contact
Integration and Migrant Training Unit